ANAME_DB re-enable with patch.

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at oracle.com
Thu Sep 2 19:42:51 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 01:54:15PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> "Roland C. Dowdeswell" <elric at imrryr.org> writes:
>
> > I found ANAME_DB in the code but it appears to have been disabled, so I
> > revived it along with converting it to use the BDB code which is already
> > in the Kerberos libs rather than DBM.
>
> I hate to see that BDB code being used for anything new, since it's

You mean the db2 code in MIT krb5?  Yes, it's ancient.

> essentially a fork of something that's now completely unmaintained
> upstream.  I don't know that I have a good alternative, though (although I
> bet a simple scan of a text file would be fast enough in many cases).
>
> Have folks considered embedding TDB?  http://tdb.samba.org/

This is a perfect area for plugins as there are lots of options:

 - DBM, GDBM, TDB, BDB
 - CouchDB
 - SQLite3
 - MySQL
 - Oracle
 - LDAP!
 - ...

Having a plugin interface also means the MIT wouldn't have to worry that
much about licensing considerations.

I'd really like the same for ccache.  The FILE ccache doesn't scale very
well.  (OTOH, if there was an option not to store service tickets when
the ccache gets past a certain size...  that might be a lot simpler.)

Nico