Processing .k5login (another patch)

Roland C. Dowdeswell elric at imrryr.org
Wed Sep 1 19:03:32 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 03:49:57PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

> "Roland C. Dowdeswell" <elric at imrryr.org> writes:
> > On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 03:35:41PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
>
> >> Can that support the case where multiple principals are authorized to
> >> log on to the local account?  The use case I have in mind are for
> >> things like the oracle account.
>
> > Yes.  The BDB is a hash of principal to local name.  Local name
> > can be the same for multiple principals.
>
> The common scenario here is for all the DBAs to have their own individual
> accounts on the system with their individual .k5login files, plus all have
> access to the oracle account via .k5login.  Maybe it's a failure of the
> imagination, but I don't see how any hash of one value to one other value
> would work for that.  I think multiple values would have to be allowed.

Ah, I thought that you meant ``multiple principals are authorised
to log on to a local account'', rather than ``a single principal
can be authorised to log onto multiple local accounts''.

No, a simple hash lookup can't do that.  I wasn't considering that
case, but as you point out it is valid.

But, I am not proposing that we remove the code for .k5login but
rather we allow organisations to disable it if it is undesirable
in their environment.

I am also proposing that we put in a simple hash lookup because it
would be quite useful in a number of situations.  This would meet
my needs as I do not need to authorise a single principal to multiple
accounts, but perhaps something a bit more flexible would be more
desirable.

--
    Roland Dowdeswell                      http://Imrryr.ORG/~elric/