Windows future

Sam Hartman hartmans at painless-security.com
Tue Oct 5 15:21:08 EDT 2010

    Thomas> Hi Jeff,

    Thomas> IMHO, at the end of the day if the Kerberos user community
    Thomas> wants to see an on-going development of KfW as a true
    Thomas> open-source project then folks will need to contribute dev
    Thomas> cycles and/or resources.  By that I mean cycles on Windows
    Thomas> development for KfW.

Thomas, an important part of encouraging such an open-source project is
encouraging contributions and particularly being constructive when
people do try and contribute.

It's my understanding that Jeff Blaine has contributed patches that help
move towards trunk code building on Windows.  Has the core team
responded to these patches in any way?

Also, in the interest of openness, it's probably valuable for the core
team to explain why they didn't do anything with the patches submitted
as bugs that Jeff Altman references.  (I can guess the reason why--and I
suspect Jeff can as well. However a guess is not the same as an open
explanation that helps those who wish to contribute understand what bar
their contributions must meet to be accepted.)

Again, I don't think anything wrong is going on here, but I do think
that it is important to give realistic encouragement to Jeff, Jeff and
anyone else who wants to help out.