krb5 libraries and circular dependencies

Tom Yu tlyu at MIT.EDU
Fri May 28 15:22:45 EDT 2010

Nicolas Williams <Nicolas.Williams at oracle.com> writes:

> I would definitely not be concerned about loading the wrong libkrb5.
> Distributions can easily ensure that that cannot happen with the bits
> they ship, and users should know not to mix and match plugins built
> against one libkrb5 with another -- DLL hell can result if they do.

I disagree that we should be unconcerned about that.  I have heard
plenty of vitriol from developers and sysadmins who experienced
trouble from the Unix/Linux equivalent of DLL hell when installing
software that uses plugins.  If the OS vendor or software packager
never makes any mistakes, and if the sysadmin never installs a more
recent version of some software built from source, then _maybe_ it is
possible to ensure that loading the wrong library "cannot happen".