Sanity check: GSSAPI SPI simplifications

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at oracle.com
Tue May 25 11:52:39 EDT 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 11:35:01AM -0400, Tom Yu wrote:
> Nicolas Williams <Nicolas.Williams at oracle.com> writes:
>
> > (Aside: I suspect that most mechglues will have sufficiently similar
> > SPIs that targeting multiple mechglues will generally be feasible.)
>
> ...except that there is some disagreement about whether the GSS-API
> itself is a suitable SPI for a mechglue.

I used to be a strong proponent of the API as the SPI.  Now I think the
API is a good model for the SPI, but that the API as-is not good as the
SPI.  I'm not sure how much disagreement there is about this.

I'm glad that Greg asked though.  The SPI surely will someday be a
public interface, so even though it's private now evolution of it should
be subject to debate.  In this case I think the proposed evolution is
perfectly fine.

Nico