a suggestion for improving pkinit preauth plugin token choosing

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz at cmu.edu
Mon May 24 19:43:30 EDT 2010

--On Tuesday, May 11, 2010 11:40:46 AM -0700 "Henry B. Hotz"
<hotz at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

>> Don't get me
>> wrong, I think it'd be nice to have a PAM item or PAM data naming
>> convention for sharing PINS or PKCS#11 sessions (respectively) between
>> modules so that PAM modules that could share a single token need not
>> prompt for a PIN for that token more than once.  (Not that it's likely
>> that you'll have more than one module on a stack that can make use of
>> tokens.)
>
> Actually, it makes a lot of sense to have both pam_pkcs11 and pam_krb5
> (with PKINIT) as both "sufficient" on a laptop that may, or may not, have
> network connectivity.  I don't think I'm arguing for that kind of change
> to PAM, since I assume it would work to just re-open the PKCS#11 module.

Not only does it make a lot of sense; it's something I've been planning on
deploying for something like 5 years now.  Most of what's been stopping me
have been local issues, like not having deployed a PKINIT-capable KDC or
figured out how I want to handle issuing credentials.  Then again, there's
also the issue of finding a card/token I'll still be able to buy if I look
away for more than 5 minutes ("Don't blink.  Don't even blink.  Blink and
you're dead.  they are fast, faster than you could believe; don't turn your
back, don't look away, and don't blink.")

> Furthermore the card is usually issued by a different organization from
> the one using/deploying the card, so *any* use of the issuer-defined UPN
> value in the card's certificate is almost certainly wrong!

I was planning on being the counterexample, but then, my deployment wasn't
going to be very large.

> Linux with the Debian pam_krb5 is way, way easier to set up than Apple or
> Microsoft, because they don't do a bunch of inappropriate things based on
> the UPN.  Every time I think about all the time I've wasted dealing with
> the problems caused by all the time Apple and MS wasted creating those
> problems in the first place I just want to. . .  </rant!!>

I was under the impression that Microsoft envisioned a common deployment
model involving certificates issued by a CA controlled by AD.  Certainly in
that case it would be appropriate for PKINIT to use a UPN or
Krb5PrinicpalName from the certificate.  Of course, one should always
understand an issuer's naming policy before trusting names provided by that
issuer.

Note that PKINIT allows for both models -- you can use the
Krb5PrincipalName in the certificate, or a policy-defined mapping (either a
transformation or a database lookup) from some name in the certificate to a
principal name, or you can just pre-register public keys or whole
certificates in the KDB.

-- Jeff