prompter type question

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at sun.com
Sun Mar 21 15:32:14 EDT 2010

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 09:41:02PM -0400, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
> --On Thursday, March 18, 2010 03:17:20 PM -0500 Nicolas Williams
> <Nicolas.Williams at sun.com> wrote:

> >>    Nicolas> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 01:17:37PM -0500, Will Fiveash
> >>    wrote:
> >>    >> typedef struct _krb5_prompt { char *prompt; int hidden; krb5_data
> >>    >> *reply; } krb5_prompt;
> >>
> >>    Nicolas> Arguably a PREAUTH type prompt with hidden set would be a
> >>    Nicolas> prompt for a PIN or OTP, while a PREAUTH type prompt with
> >>    Nicolas> hidden unset would be an informative prompt of some kind
> >>    Nicolas> (any kind).
> >>
> >>Hmm.
> >>I'd expect that hidden would be clear for OTP and possibly pin.
> >
> >I wouldn't!  I'd expect prompts for secrets to be echo-off.
>
> I'd expect echo for an OTP response, if it's at all complicated,
> since the user doesn't actually _know_ it the way you (or your
> fingers) know a PIN or password, and complex data entry without echo
> can be quite error-prone.

Perhaps.  I use an OTP and a challenge/response OTP from time to time.
I've never needed echo on.

> I would not expect echo for a PIN.

Right.  I believe we need more prompter types, that we'll eventually
need at least all of these:

 - enter password
 - enter new password, enter new password again
 - insert token
 - enter PIN, enter PIN on token PIN pad
 - enter OTP
 - warning message