Plugin project proposal

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at oracle.com
Thu Jul 15 18:56:35 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 06:36:57PM -0400, Greg Hudson wrote:
>   * dlsym may be kind of slow on some platforms; OSX has been mentioned
> as possibly requiring a linear symbol table search per dlsym call.  Note
> that in the absence of RTLD_FIRST (Linux doesn't have it), dlsym must
> search dependent libraries of dynamic objects as well as the object
> itself.  Nico points out that this concern may fall under the realm of
> premature optimization.

As I've said many times now, both types of solutions are technically
equivalent.  The performance issue, if it's real, might be considered
dispositive.  And yes, I'd like to first see some evidence that dlsym()
performance on any of the major OSes would be a problem.  I suspect it
wouldn't be a problem.

Nico