Plugin project proposal

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Thu Jul 15 16:32:22 EDT 2010

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 13:13:14 -0700
Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> wrote:

> I'm not sure we know which is likely to be the most common
> operation.  My guess is actually that we'll have very static
> interfaces that will accumulate desired changes and then periodically
> undergo complete revision, which is why I like the vtable approach
> because it's probably the cleanest for handling that sort of
> situation.

Yes, I like the vtable approach because it tells the plugin writer with
a single look what is the set of functions relevant for you.
And if you care for supporting multiple versions it also gives you a
clear view of what is needed for each version.

This is lost when all you do is adding symbols, the plugin writer has
to check every function and/or the SCM history to find out if some
interfaces are still relevant or can be ignored because they are
deprecated etc ...

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York