Question about FAST

Thomas Kula kula at tproa.net
Thu Jul 8 16:23:58 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 01:14:23PM -0700, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
> I've never run JtR myself.  Just talked to people who have.  It seems to be popular at AFS installations.
>
> My impression was that it required a dump of the kerberos database to operate.  Presumably the JtR documentation is the place to go (not me).

We run JtR here at UMICH as part of an auditing process. It
does require a dump of the kerberos database, and we have a
perl script that takes the dump, looks for AFS3 salted
single-des keys and turns them into a format we can pass
into JtR.

I have no idea how you'd use a captured AS_REP going by
to do an offline dictionary attack with JtR, or even if
JtR is the most effective tool for attempting that.

--
Thomas L. Kula | kula at tproa.net | http://kula.tproa.net/