DAL cleanup project proposal

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Sun Jul 4 13:58:43 EDT 2010

On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 14:44:46 -0400 (EDT)
ghudson at MIT.EDU wrote:

> I've made a few minor changes to the project proposal as I've started
> working more with the code.  As a result, I've split out the principal
> and policy API changes (mostly principal API changes) into a separate
> section from "Simple Cleanups".
>
> The most notable new change is that I want to make get_principal
> responsible for allocating the DB entry structure.  In my experience,
> it's easier to perform robust error handling when APIs allocate the
> container than when the caller does.

Does this means we can potentially have more allocations when
enumerating principals ?
Passing down a buffer allows you to reuse the same one over and over
with out any allocation if you want to.
Of course if the code was already allocating a buffer before each
get_principal call the point is moot.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York