Some questions on IIS on Windows 2008

Max (Weijun) Wang Weijun.Wang at sun.com
Tue Jan 19 02:37:27 EST 2010

Hi All

I've just installed a Windows 2008 system with IIS, and find something
confusing:

1. What does "Enable Kernel-mode authentication" mean?

When it's turned on, I can successfully authenticate using NTLM. When
it's off, the three NTLM packets looks fine, but the server does not
return 200 OK. In fact, it simply restarts the authentication process
with headers just like the initial response.

2. Kerberos (or SPNEGO) does not work?

I've configured the client to create a SPNEGO initial token and sent
it to the server, the server returns neither OK nor an error token,
again, it simply restarts the authentication process with headers just
like the initial response.

I'm using JDK 7 at the client side. This used to work very fine on
Windows 2003.

Is there anything new for Windows 2008?

Thanks
Weijun