An additional complication with the kadm5 sonames

Sam Hartman hartmans at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 15 14:54:38 EST 2010

    Greg> I am reluctant to perform a basename change for 1.8.  We've
    Greg> entered the testing cycle, it's a shorter one than we're used
    Greg> to for previous releases, and this does not feel like a
    Greg> conservative change.
    >>
    >> Note that libkadm5 has much less of a compatibility guarantee
    >> than other libraries.  Why does changing the base name not feel
    >> conservative?

    Tom> Changing the base name is less conservative than a SONAME
    Tom> version bump because changing the base name requires more
    Tom> extensive changes to the Makefiles.

I'm heading out to Arisia, but it seems like the makefile change is as
simple as
1)  change basename
2) install symlink into build lib dir
3) install symlink into install tree.

I'll agree that is less conservative than version change.  However the
build system changes seem conservative to me and are easily tested
during our testing cycle.  I don't know if there are potentially wider
effects.

--Sam