getprinc problems in 1.8b1

Marcus Watts mdw at umich.edu
Wed Feb 24 14:20:43 EST 2010

> Date:    Wed, 24 Feb 2010 13:44:41 EST
> To:      Marcus Watts <mdw at umich.edu>
> cc:      "krbdev at mit.edu" <krbdev at mit.edu>
> From:    Greg Hudson <ghudson at MIT.EDU>
> Subject: Re: getprinc problems in 1.8b1
>
> On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 11:55 -0500, Marcus Watts wrote:
> > The second has to do with mkvno.  This value is always
> > returned, regardless of whether KADM5_MKVNO is set.
> > This was new behavior in 1.7.  (1.6.3 had different
> > possibly broken behavior.)
>
> Out of curiosity, did this cause a problem?
>
> Your reasoning and patch seem sound, so I'll commit this and tag for
> pullup to 1.8.  (It might conceivably be delayed until 1.8.1, but we
> expect to roll 1.8.1 much sooner after 1.8 than we did 1.7.1 after 1.7.)

It didn't cause a problem per se - it was just "weird" and unexpected.
Of course, I don't (yet) have any reason to care about mkvno.  If I
had a procedure that incrementally changed mkvno, I might then
become very interested in a way to see what mkvno was.

I think the behavior of this must have been a concern for the maintainers
of Authen::Krb5::Admin .  They do support KADM5_MKVNO, including a method
call "mkvno", but they don't document it.  My guess is they couldn't figure
out what was happening, and decided it was simpler to just not document it.

				-Marcus Watts