HW-AUTHENT flag question

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Feb 10 19:36:11 EST 2010

On Feb 10, 2010, at 2:32 PM, krbdev-request at mit.edu wrote:

> Plus there is still the (difficult) question of how a KDC can actually
> tell the different between a Client/User wielding a hardware-smartcard
> versus one that uses a software-smartcard.

I don't think that issue can be resolved generally.

However I think it can be easily resolved for any particular enterprise.  The certs used on the cards are going to be handled organizationally in a particular place and way (or small number of same).

What's needed is some KDC config information that says to turn on the HW-AUTHENT flag if the cert matches some distinguishing criteria.  My NASA PIV card has a cert with a subject DN which ends in "...OU=PIV,OU=NASA,O=U.S. Government,C=US".  It also has the 2.16.840.1.101.3.6.9.1 policy extension, indicating it's a PIV cert, and it has the Microsoft smart card EKU.  Any one, or possibly some combination of those characteristics could be sufficient to say the cert belongs to a physical card.

My email cert is issued by a different part of our infrastructure.
Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu