HW-AUTHENT flag question

Thomas Hardjono hardjono at MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 10 14:28:42 EST 2010

May be this is a good opportunity for the Kerberos WG & dev communities
to start looking at ways to represent/report Levels of Assurance (LOA)
in Kerberos.

FYI. The NIST draft SP-800-63-1 (Electronic Authentication Guideline)
has an entire section on Kerberos and the LOA levels achieved using
different scenarios of Kerberos (e.g. Kerberos with H/W Token (smartcard)).

http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/drafts/800-63-rev1/SP800-63-Rev1_Dec2008.pdf

Perhaps there should be some effort towards defining the format
of the LOA labels to be carried within the authz field (?) in a service ticket.

Plus there is still the (difficult) question of how a KDC can actually
tell the different between a Client/User wielding a hardware-smartcard
versus one that uses a software-smartcard.

/thomas/