pkinit preauth plugin issue

Will Fiveash William.Fiveash at sun.com
Mon Feb 8 19:54:23 EST 2010

While doing more testing of pam_krb5 pkinit I noticed that the pkinit
preauth plugin code does not use gak_data if it is set via:

krb5_get_init_creds_password(
                    kmd->kcontext,
                    my_creds,
                    me,
                    *krb5_pass, /* clear text passwd */
                    ^^^^^^^^^^ this is set
                    NULL, /* prompter */
                    NULL, /* prompter data */
                    0, /* start time */
                    NULL, /* defaults to krbtgt at REALM */
                    &opts);

This is troublesome because I want pkinit to use the gak_data/password
if set as the PIN/PEM password.  I see that pkinit_client_process() has
a gak_data input parameter but doesn't do anything with it.

Note, if krb5_get_init_creds_password is called like so:

krb5_get_init_creds_password(kmd->kcontext,
                my_creds,
                me,
                NULL, /* clear text passwd */
                pam_krb5_prompter, /* prompter */
                pamh, /* prompter data */
                0, /* start time */
                NULL, /* defaults to krbtgt at REALM */
                &opts,

then pkinit will use the pam_krb5_prompter() and acquire the PIN/PEM
password and things function normally.

Thoughts on whether it is reasonable for pkinit to pay attention to
gak_data?

--
Will Fiveash
Sun Microsystems Inc.