Fw: Kerberos MIT on Solaris

Will Fiveash will.fiveash at oracle.com
Mon Aug 23 14:58:54 EDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 10:33:05AM -0700, vir vir wrote:
> Hi Will,
>

> On Solaris 9 can't find a library libkrb5.so

Yes, Solaris did not provide a public libkrb5 until Solaris 10.  It has
provided libgss with a krb5 mech since Solaris 8 (and maybe before
that).

> On Solaris 10 I can't  find a library libgssapi_krb5.so that has
> gss_krb5_ccache_name,

That is true, that function is not currently supported by the Solaris
libkrb5 but there does exist a change request in our bug/RFE tracking DB
to get that added.  Not sure when that will happen but it's good to know
that is something you are interested in.

As an aside, Sun's philosophy for a long time regarding the programming
interface of choice for apps that need Kerberos security was that libgss
should provide that interface because it is a standard (see RFC 2744)
and stable set of functions that will be consistent (in theory) across
different platforms that provide a GSS-API library.  For this reason it
is a good idea to try to use this instead of libkrb5 if possible.

--
Will Fiveash
Oracle