Kerberos MIT on Solaris

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Sun Aug 22 03:14:38 EDT 2010

On Aug 19, 2010, at 13:37, Shumon Huque wrote:
> I just tried the command line I gave earlier on Solaris 10
> (opteron) with MIT Kerberos 1.8.3:
>
> 	env CC=cc CFLAGS='-xarch=generic64' ./configure
>
> and it configured and compiled fine. (There were numerous
> warnings about "bad message tag: E_ATTRIBUTE_PARAM_UNDEFINED"
> that I didn't look into further.)

There are various compiler flags controlling different warnings provided by different versions of the Sun compilers.  The configure script generates command-line arguments to pass to the compiler telling it to make certain warnings (like implicit declarations of functions) into fatal errors in the build, because we believed we'd eliminated those problems in the code and don't want to see them come back.

The current set of warnings (I'm looking at the development repository, not the 1.8.3 release, but I expect they're pretty similar in that regard) were based on the Sunsoft 12 compiler installed at MIT.  If I recall correctly, E_ATTRIBUTE_PARAM_UNDEFINED causes it to complain about things like "__attribute__((__format__(__printf__,3,0)))", which is GCC-specific, if it's not buried inside a suitable #ifdef.  If an older Sun compiler doesn't recognize the option but only makes it a warning instead of an error, things should work okay, it'll just be annoyingly verbose during the build.  If you feel like writing up a patch to aclocal.m4 so it can figure out which warning options the installed version of the compiler supports... well, I can't promise you that the MIT team would accept it, but I think it'd be an improvement.

Ken