Adding Fortuna as a new prng

Zhanna Tsitkova tsitkova at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 19 11:07:24 EDT 2010

LibTomCrypt copyrights header :

/* LibTomCrypt, modular cryptographic library -- Tom St Denis
  *
  * LibTomCrypt is a library that provides various cryptographic
  * algorithms in a highly modular and flexible manner.
  *
  * The library is free for all purposes without any express
  * guarantee it works.
  *
  * Tom St Denis, tomstdenis at gmail.com, http://libtom.org
  */

Marko Kreen copyrights header :

* Copyright (c) 2005 Marko Kreen
  * All rights reserved.
  *
  * are met:
  *        notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
  *        notice, this list of conditions and the following
disclaimer in the
  *        documentation and/or other materials provided with the
distribution.
  *
  * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS''
AND
  * ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
THE
  * IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE
  * ARE DISCLAIMED.      IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR OR CONTRIBUTORS
BE LIABLE
  * FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
CONSEQUENTIAL
  * DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE
GOODS
  * OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS
INTERRUPTION)
  * HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN
CONTRACT, STRICT
  * LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN
ANY WAY
  * OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE
POSSIBILITY OF
  * SUCH DAMAGE.
  *

Thanks,
Zhanna

On Aug 19, 2010, at 9:18 AM, Sam Hartman wrote:

>    Zhanna> 1. Code borrowing. At the moment we know about two open
>    Zhanna> source implementations of Fortuna in C. One of them is from
>    Zhanna> libTomCrypt project and another one circulates under
>    Zhanna> "Copyright (c) Marko Kreen" license. The opinion was
>    Zhanna> expressed that even though libTomCrypt license does not
> have
>    Zhanna> any restrictions, it is somewhat faceless, and consequently
>    Zhanna> might be an issue for the lawyers. So, perhaps, Marko
>    Zhanna> Kreen's implementation is a better bid.
>
> I don't understand this point.
> Can you please post the license or a link to the license for the code
> you plan to include.

Zhanna Tsitkova
tsitkova at mit.edu