Camellia-CCM and defaults

ghudson@MIT.EDU ghudson at MIT.EDU
Wed Aug 4 12:47:46 EDT 2010

We're hopefully close to being able to merge the camellia256-ccm and
camellia128-ccm enctype implementations to the trunk; the code is
ready, although I'd ideally like to get IANA assignments first.

Two questions:

1. Should we add these enctypes to the default etypes list used for
   the default values of default_tgs_enctypes, default_tkt_enctypes,
   and permitted_enctypes?

   This would make it easier to deploy Camellia from the KDC when the
   configurations of clients are not tightly controlled.  It would,
   obviously, expose clients to a bit of additional risk.

2. Should we add these enctypes to the default value of
   supported_enctypes?  (This is the default key:salt list used when
   creating new principals or changing passwords.)

   This would make it easier to switch a realm from using AES to
   Camellia if, say, AES or SHA-1 were suddenly found to be weak,
   since principal entries created after a 1.9 deployment will already
   have Camellia keys.

   Adding more enctypes here increases the database size and exposes
   realms to additional risk if Camellia turns out to be weak.

If I receive no feedback, I will go with yes and yes, following the
precedent of the RC4 enctypes.