prefer Python for new scripts?

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz at cmu.edu
Fri Oct 30 14:25:27 EDT 2009

--On Friday, October 30, 2009 12:21:36 PM -0400 Greg Hudson
<ghudson at mit.edu> wrote:

> However, I would suggest we avoid
> runing Python scripts during the build unless we can be very minimal
> about the version requirements

Or preferably, not at all.
Perl is _probably_ sufficiently widely deployed that requiring it for the
build is OK, and apparently it hasn't been a problem for Kerberos, but my
preference in the long run is to avoid even that.  If something is too
complicated to be done in sh, then chances are it doesn't need to be done
as part of the build, and if it does, maybe it's a candidate for a C
program.

For tests, I'd relax that a bit.  It ought to be possible for anyone
building Kerberos to run the tests (modulo cross-compiling), but I think
it's OK to require them to have a reasonably new perl and/or python first.