How to extend kadmin

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at sun.com
Mon Oct 26 17:35:09 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 10:31:11PM +0100, Luke Howard wrote:
> >This doesn't achieve much.  You could not, for example, change the
> >arguments/results of any RPCs this way.
>
> We can because the api_version is included in the relevant data
> structures. I prefer to avoid proliferation of RPCs for simply varying
> the data structures: look how horrible [MS-SAMR] looks because of this.

With BER/DER/CER you can always reasonably turn a field of a SEQUENCE
into a CHOICE and negotiate use of alternative CHOICEs.

With PER-like encodings you have to think ahead and add extensibility in
the right places, else you must add new procedures/operations/whatever
you want to call them, or you must have truly fancy syntax that allows
you to indicate alternatives which the encoders/decoders must receive
indications of parametrically.  As it is, if you try turning some field
into a CHOICE then you can no longer use machine-generated code.
XDR is a PER-like encoding.  And XDR is not that fancy a syntax.

But see my response to Jeff.  I would, in fact, rather move to an
LDAP-based solution.

Nico