How to extend kadmin

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 26 17:08:21 EDT 2009

On Oct 26, 2009, at 15:44, ghudson at MIT.EDU wrote:
>   To accomplish this, the output of
> rpcgen was hacked to pass the version number into the relevant
> encoding functions and conditionalize on the version.  As a result,
> the MIT tree has never generated the kadmin RPC encoders at build or
> distro-preparation time; we have always stored modified rpcgen C
> output in the source tree.  I am told that Sun uses rpcgen at build
> time instead (they removed api v1 support in order to do this), and
> that they may have trouble with the lockout code in its current form
> as a result.

I tried to reverse-engineer an rpcgen input file a long time ago, but
the v1/v2 combination was quite a pain.  With v1 gone, it may be
possible again.

If it's at all possible, *please* do something compatible with the use
of rpcgen to generate the files.  Unless we switch to a new, non-RPC
protocol, an eventual switch to rpcgen should help with maintenance
and future changes.  Even if you're not convinced of that, please
don't do anything to close the door on that option.

(Maybe I should dust off my rpcgen stuff and give it another look...)

Ken