Zapping memory and C++ compatibility

Philip Guenther guenther at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 17:52:50 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 8:30 AM, Mike Patnode <mike.patnode at centrify.com> wrote:
> Without a reference in front of me, I'm fairly certain C style casts are
> mapped to reinterpret_cast in C++.  In this case it's simple syntax
> sugar.  In any case, they are certainly allowed in C++.

No, they are not directly mapped to reinterpret_cast.  They are mapped
to the first option which is legal of a list possibilities that starts
with "just a const_cast" and, IIRC, ends with "just a
reinterpret_cast" with possibilities that include static_cast in the
middle.  (I don't remember the exact list well enough to quote it
here.)  In this case, assuming the original pointer is a 'char *' or
similar, it'll do the combination of a static_cast (from char * to
void *) and a const_cast (from void * to volatile void *).  I.e., the
cast is not the problem.

>> Today's problem is that the last construction isn't valid C++.  We
>> have a test case which tries passing k5-int.h through C++ compiler,
>> and it now fails on Solaris with the native compiler.  It didn't fail
>> before because the macro was never expanded within k5-int.h, but now
>> it gets expanded by the new zapfree() inline function.
>> A possible choice is to make the macro more obviously
>> wishy-washy by explicitly casting ptr back to void *:
>>
>> memset((void *)(volatile void *)ptr, 0, len)

I guess people missed this bit, as it shows that the cast is fine and
that it's the implicit conversion that is rejected by the compiler.
Comparing g++ and gcc's output might make it more obvious:

$ cat f.cpp
#include <string.h>

int main(void)
{
        char ptr[13];
        int len = 13;
        memset((volatile void *)ptr, 0, len);
        return 0;
}
$ g++ -c f.cpp
f.cpp: In function `int main()':
f.cpp:7: error: invalid conversion from `volatile void*' to `void*'
$
$ mv f.cpp f.c
$ gcc -c f.c
f.c: In function `main':
f.c:7: warning: passing arg 1 of `memset' discards qualifiers from
pointer target type
$

IMO, the 'safe' thing would be to have an actual function
krb5int_zap_data() defined in its own .c file which does the zeroing
out and not mess with volatile at all.  That'll solve it for
file-by-file optimizers.  Whole-program optimizers are at least
theoretically in a position to defeat all work arounds.  Suggestions
for dealing with them would need to come from someone who has access
to one.

Philip Guenther