Namespaces and inter-library private symbols

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Fri Nov 13 16:49:30 EST 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 13:25 -0500, Nicolas Williams wrote:
> If a run-time linker encodes prototype information into its shared
> object outputs, then I agree that exporting private symbols becomes a
> problem, and the accessor is probably the best solution.

No, I think encoding prototype information into shared object outputs is
highly unusual.  What's possibly confusing you is that C compilers
typically allow an application to invoke a function with no prototype
information, and will simply assume that the function returns int and
needs no argument conversions.  (This is true of gcc even with -std=c99,
although that flag does cause gcc to issue a warning.)