regression due to referral realm

Natalie Li Natalie.Li at Sun.COM
Wed Feb 11 11:18:25 EST 2009

Shawn M Emery wrote:
> Nicolas Williams wrote:

>>>     Nicolas> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 03:16:30PM -0500, Sam Hartman
>>>     Nicolas> wrote:
>>>     >> I have to agree with Tom here.
>>>
>>>     Nicolas> Meaning what, specifically?  That you think MIT should
>>>     Nicolas> not accept a patch that does anything other than replace
>>>     Nicolas> the null realm name with the default realm name?
>>>
>>> That MIT should assume that if you have a keytab you have a default
>>> realm name.
>>>
>>> I think that the proposed patch may be fine.  I certainly am not objecting to it.
>>>

>> OK.  I'll forward this comment to the maintainers of the smbadm join and
>> kclient commands.
>>

> kclient populates the default realm so it would not be affected by
> this.  In regards to the solution, I would prefer to search the keytab
> last to first.  When transitioning realms (keeping old service keys),
> the new keys were appended to the keytab from what I remember.  Do you
> recall this as well with "smbadm join", Natalie?

Yes, I recalled seeing a problem when transitioning from one realm to
another.  The problem seems to be that a new set of keytab entries with
different kvno for the same principal names are appended.  So the new
ones will be last, and the first ones will become  invalid.  Yet, I
recalled the *INVALID* ones will be selected when one needs it.  It'd be
better if libkrb5 search to the end of the keytab, always, picking the
*latest* keytab entry matching whatever is required.

Natalie