issue trying to do make check on Ubuntu 8.10 desktop

Ezra Peisach epeisach at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 5 19:53:50 EST 2009

The server exited could also be caused by portmap/rpcbind requiring a
reserved port to register the port. (we are already using a loopback
interface but I've seen some default configs for rpcbind to require a
unix domain socket or a reserved port (< 1024 - which requires root)...

I checked in some changes to the source tree to be more graceful for the
case when portmap is not running or not allowing the server to register....
(hmm - I should make sure the right thing happens when portmap is not
running at all...)

Ezra