Unit tests of internal functions

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Mon Dec 28 19:32:29 EST 2009

On Dec 28, 2009, at 19:17, Sam Hartman wrote:
> Option 3 seems reasonable in terms of result, but I'm not convinced
> the
> build system complexity is justified.
>
> If my input is going to be seriously considered it's a good idea to
> sanity check that  the build system complexity of our current practice
> isn't more than that of option 3.

I think it would be easier if we were using a script to build shared
libraries given a list of OBJS.SH files and the other data, instead of
sticking everything in shell commands directly in the makefiles, but
Tom has objected to the script approach in the past.  (Bad experiences
with libtool?)  Having to fit every new bit of functionality into one
long command line makes things pretty ugly, IMO.  There may be ways to
break things apart more sanely, though, like creating a makefile
target to build a temporary file to hold some of the command-line
options we need to pass to the linker on platform X, etc.

Ken