Directions for crypto make_checksum/verify_checksum

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Tue Dec 8 04:42:13 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-07 at 12:34 -0500, ghudson at MIT.EDU wrote:
> Note that cbc_checksum would have to allocate a temporary buffer to
> store the encrypted output in order to compute the resulting ivec,
> which is less efficient than the current mechanism of computing descbc
> checksums.  I think that's a small price to pay for a smaller module
> SPI footprint, since I don't think the descbc checksum type gets any
> significant use.

I thought up two additional concerns about this:

1. descbc would actually have to copy a whole iov array (to avoid
modifying the caller's data by encrypting in place), which we've so far
managed to avoid the need for everywhere else in the code.

2. I just looked at Luke's aes-ccm branch, and the same issue is going
to come up for aescbc checksums if we go in that direction.

I am currently thinking of extending the enc provider structure to
include an ECB block encryption function, to be implemented by any enc
provider which is used for CBC keyhashes.