[kerberos-discuss] thoughts/issues making MIT krb code fit for drop-in to Solaris

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at sun.com
Fri Sep 19 11:57:05 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 08:45:11AM -0700, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
> API and source distribution compatibility does not necessarily imply
> ABI compatibility.  I don't see a strong need for ABI compatibility.

So every time MIT makes a new release you rebuild all other krb5/gss
applications that you run?

Seriously??

For Sun ABI compatibility is considered far more important than source
compatibility, and it's what we guarantee (modulo EOF announcements and
our interface stability and release type taxonomies).  From previous
conversations with Sam (and I am aware that he left the Consortium) MIT
cares about the ABI as much as we do.

(I should take this as an opportunity to knock operating systems where
having to rebuild applications from source with every OS release is par
for the course...)

Nico