[kerberos-discuss] thoughts/issues making MIT krb code fit for drop-in to Solaris

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at sun.com
Thu Sep 18 19:28:09 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 05:48:41PM -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 19:04 -0500, Will Fiveash wrote:
> >
> > Thoughts as to whether this goal is achievable and on an approach if
> > so?
>
> Would this plan affect other platforms too?
> If so, how?

No.

The Solaris libkrb5 ABI *is* different from the MIT krb5 ABI when MIT
krb5 is built on Solaris.  But that doesn't mean that we must break MIT
krb5 compatibility.

It would mean having a ./configure option to select which ABI you want.
When building MIT krb5 to provide system components for OpenSolaris
you'd use the Solaris ABI, otherwise you'd use the default ABI.

(The alternative is that we never bother doing this drop-in thing.  Or
that we break the Solaris krb5 ABI and find a very different way to
solve the problems with krb5_keyblock.)

Nico