pkinit kinit/krb5.conf naming inconsistencies

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Sep 16 16:45:46 EDT 2008

On Sep 16, 2008, at 9:12 AM, krbdev-request at mit.edu wrote:

> I'm assuming that Heimdal's kinit doesn't have this -x thing, that in
> Heimdal if you want to override the system's krb5.conf you should use
> the KRB5_CONFIG environment variable.

I care a lot more about rationalizing the krb5.conf file than the
command line options.  For reference:

kinit --pk-user=<x509 identity> --x509-anchors=<directory> --pk-use-
enckey ...

Option aliases are -C and -D respectively.  <x509 identity> is usually
a FILE:... or PKCS11:... value.  I've never actually used the other two.

There's no generic "override a config file option" option, just a few
environment variables like KRB5_CONFIG.

Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu