pkinit: using RSA modulus to locate private key

tsitkova tsitkova at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 8 11:56:01 EDT 2008

On Oct 7, 2008, at 8:16 AM, Mark Phalan wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 15:10 -0500, Douglas E. Engert wrote:
>>
>> Tom Yu wrote:

>> Can you change your pkinit utility?
>
> Yes, I've filed a bug against pktool(1).
> http://bugs.opensolaris.org/view_bug.do?bug_id=6744761
> I've no idea when the KMF team will fix it though.

According to PKCS11 X509 the certs and the associated key pairs must
have the same CKA_ID.

>> But since many tokens don't store
>> the CKA_ID then what?
>
> Not sure I totally understand the question. If there is no CKA_ID set
> and the RSA modulus from a cert matches a key in the token then, with
> the proposed patch, that key can be used.

>> Assuming you are using RSA key, that might work.
>
> Currently PKINIT only looks for RSA keys.
>
>> PKCS#11 2.20 says 12.1.3:
>> "The only attributes from Table 36 for which a Cryptoki
>> implementation
>>  is required to be able to return values are CKA_MODULUS and
>>  CKA_PRIVATE_EXPONENT"
>>
>> But there might be cards where this is not true, as the card may not
>> store this information.
>
> The proposed RSA modulus fallback is only used when a key cannot be
> found using the current methods. If the CKA_MODULUS is not stored
> then I
> guess the fallback will also fail.

>> I don't believe that setting CK_ID to the hash is typical.
>> OpenSC can present a PKCS#11 view of many cards, it will
>> typically use 1, 2, 3... for the CK_ID and keep the same CK_ID
>> for the cert, public key and matching private key,
>> assuming that a CK_ID is unique only across a card.

CKA_ID may be generated in the numerous ways. It may be a modulus of
RSA, a public value of DSA,  SHA1/MD5 hash of the RSA modulus or any
other unique to the token identifier that maps the cert to the
associated key pair.
Keeping this in mind, as a work around, it might be sufficient just to
extract RSA pub keys both  from the cert and the priv key and compare
their modulus, rather than cert's CKA_ID and the hash value of the
modulus of the key pair.