Realm lookups again

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at sun.com
Thu Oct 2 13:38:20 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 02:35:18AM -0400, Greg Hudson wrote:
> Assuming we do want the code for the DNS heuristic for host->realm
> mappings, it has some security implications when used in combination
> with dns_lookup_kdc (which is on by default), and therefore should not
> be turned on by default.  I am open to opinions on what the
> configuration schema should be for enabling it; there is some room for
> confusion with the existing dns_lookup_realm variable.

One possibility:

[libdefaults]
        host2realm_parents = <count of parent domains to try, 0 for
                              none; default to 0>

Another:

[libdefaults]
        host2realm_safe_parents = <count of parent domains to try, 0 for
                                   none, but without using DNS for KDC
                                   lookups; default to 1>
        host2realm_unsafe_parents = <count of parent domains to try w/
                                     dns_lookup_kdc, 0 for none; default
                                     to 0>

Nico