Realm lookups again

Mark Phalan Mark.Phalan at Sun.COM
Thu Oct 2 05:54:03 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 02:35 -0400, Greg Hudson wrote:
> Here is my current thinking on the patch, based on the discussion so far:
>
> 1. The default_realm part of the patch is of limited value.  It's not a
> safe default, which means it can't (without compromising security)
> accomplish the goal of making Kerberos work with zero configuration.
> Once there is any kind of configuration requirement, people are better
> off configuring the default realm.

The security problem is that it does a lookup for each interface IP
address.
(As already mentioned by Nico) this could be replaced by looking in the
keytab for host's keytab entries and using the realm found there.
Alternatively the local /etc/hosts database could be used to look for
the interface addresses - actually I understood that libresolv will look
into /etc/hosts before going to DNS (Nico?).

> 2. The host->realm part of the patch would let people throw away most of
> their domain_realm table.  So does
> http://k5wiki.kerberos.org/wiki/Projects/domain_realm_referrals ; I
> would be interested to know what the status of that project is, and
> whether people think it would supplant the need for a DNS heuristic or
> complement it.  Or if people think the DNS heuristic is a better idea
> than domain realm referrals.

I think that both are desireable. The DNS heuristic doesn't require any
server-side support so will work in more situations. Referrals have
advantages but do require KDC support.

-M