Realm lookups again

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Oct 1 21:44:25 EDT 2008

On Oct 1, 2008, at 3:37 PM, krbdev-request at mit.edu wrote:

> Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 18:14:21 -0400
> From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz at cmu.edu>
> Subject: Re: Realm lookups again
> To: Nicolas Williams <Nicolas.Williams at sun.com>, ghudson at mit.edu
> Cc: krbdev at mit.edu, jhutz at cmu.edu
>
> --On Wednesday, October 01, 2008 03:28:03 PM -0500 Nicolas Williams
> <Nicolas.Williams at sun.com> wrote:
>
>> It's a pretty good bet that sub-domain/sub-realm relationships imply
>> that that the child domain/realm trusts the parent not to attack it
>> willfully.  "Willfully" is a key word there; the parent might be
>> compromised and forced to attack the child.
>
> I'm not sure this is true.  It's entirely possible that a large
> enterprise
> has a smaller core of trusted services which live in a separate
> realm, not
> operated by the same people who operate the top-level realm, and
> which does
> not trust the top-level realm.  Think of a security group within a
> large
> company, or a large legal or financial firm with a small group that
> lives
> behind a Chinese wall, or a government contractor with a group that
> does
> classified work.
>
> I'm nervous about making the assumption that organizational structure
> implies trust relationships.  It is very common to create smaller
> organizational units which are either unusually trusted or unusually
> distrusted compared to the rest of the organization.
>
> -- Jeff

Aren't we running into the issue of what "trust" means?  Just because
you "trust" another organization enough to exchange cryptographic
keys, doesn't mean you "trust" their people to access all of your
services.  In theory I might someday get a fully-authenticated
connection from osama at AL-QAEDA.INT via some "trust" between NASA, the
State Department, and a covert arm of the CIA.  I've got a pretty good
idea what I do with that connection too.  ;-)

More specifically I don't think such a connection should be regarded
as an "attack", at least not by default.  Rejecting it, post-
authentication, is just business as usual.

What we're talking about here are what are appropriate heuristics for
what "trust" relationships to look for.  While a security group
probably doesn't want to "trust" it's parent, it makes perfect sense
for the code to *look* for such a "trust".  Maybe it's an outreach
group, not a security group, for instance.

Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu