Initial comments request: AEAD Encryption API

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Thu Nov 6 12:12:49 EST 2008

On Nov 5, 2008, at 20:49, Sam Hartman wrote:
>    Nicolas> A revision [to RFC 3961] certainly seems likely to be
> needed.
>
> Both this and a spec for the protocol level details of what
> Microsoft has done are out of scope for what Luke and I are funded
> to do.
> I don't know if the EU filings from Microsoft contain details on this.

Certainly I understand not updating the RFC as part of the contract
work.  But at the IETF perhaps we should consider it.

Some reference for the MS protocol is important if we want to be able
to evaluate the code, fix any bugs that may come up later, figure out
if we can extend it to new cryptosystems, etc.  Otherwise, going
forward, maintaining code that has to conform to specs we don't have
will be a major pain.  I wouldn't expect you guys to write new
protocol docs, but if Luke's got a pointer to documentation someplace,
it would be good to put it into either the doc tree or comments in the
source.

Ken