OK-AS-DELEGATE FLAG setting.

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Fri May 9 14:16:44 EDT 2008

Paul Moore wrote:
> The GSS layer should enforce the obedience of this flag. In the current
> MIT gss code it does not. This is very bad (we have reported this
> before). The KDC has set a flag saying 'don't forward this' and yet the
> MIT client code forwards it anyway. We offered a fix (we have it in
> place already) but were told 'no thanks'.

"Enforce" is probable the wrong word to use here. From a Kerberos
prospective the flag is only advisory. The client can ignore the bit,
and forward a TGT if it wants too. The KDC has no control over the
forwarding.

That said, the client should take the advice of the KDC and not forward.

  I suspect that the reason the
> client side code ignores it is because the MIT KDC never sets it and so
> nobody in MIT has paid much attention to it. MS AD KDC uses it all the
> time. In fact AD's default mode is to set 'do not forward '

Well, the OK-TO-DELAGATE was a MS thing, so MS implemented it first.
I do agree that it would be a good feature to have, as it can help prevent
rough user-administrated computers from pretending they are servers.

It would also make it easier to allow user to self register computers
as there is less chance that the computer could steal forwarded tickets
if other clients took the advice of the KDC and not forwarded tickets
to these self registered computers.