Ticket 5338: Race conditions in key rotation

Jeffrey Altman jaltman at secure-endpoints.com
Wed Jun 25 17:51:08 EDT 2008

Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
> --On Wednesday, June 25, 2008 03:49:28 PM -0400 Jeffrey Altman
> <jaltman at secure-endpoints.com> wrote:
>
>> This is not true.  The delay when a server is down is the timeout
>> waiting
>> for any response
>> not the time necessary to get KRB5KDC_ERR_S_PRINCIPAL_UNKNOWN and retry.
>
> Without your change, the delay when a server is down is the same as
> the delay when a server is not down, which is the time necessary to
> get KRB5KDC_ERR_S_PRINCIPAL_UNKNOWN and move on to try the next
> service principal name.  There is no timeout because the routing
> configuration guarantees the request does not go to the server that is
> down.
Then why did you raise the issue of the timeout when the server was down?

> With your change, the delay is the time to get
> KRB5KDC_ERR_S_PRINCIPAL_UNKNOWN from a working server, plus the time
> to timeout the request to the admin server, which is down.
>

> Unless, of course, I'm misreading your earlier statement that
>
>> This definition is specified either via the use of the "master_kdc"
>> entry
>> in the realm section of the krb5.conf (the profile) or in DNS SRV
>> records.
Its not the admin_server unless your master_kdc and admin_server records
are pointing to the same
machines.  But yes, if the master_kdc is down there will be an added
delay with this logic.

Of course, we really need to find a better way to obtain afs service
tickets that doesn't involved
N best guesses to figure out what the correct realm should be and what
the correct principal
format should be.  Is it afs at REALM or afs/cell at REALM and with rxk5 or
rxgk some additional
principal name form?  But this is getting severely off topic.