Proposed modifications to replay cache to prevent false positives

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz at cmu.edu
Tue Jun 10 21:48:08 EDT 2008

--On Thursday, May 22, 2008 02:31:43 PM -0500 Nicolas Williams
<Nicolas.Williams at sun.com> wrote:

> Yes.  I know.  I said "estimated" because the kernel can only tell you
> how long it took to get to multi-user-server runlevel from the point
> where it could start keeping time; the kernel can't tell you how long it
> took the previous boot phases to complete (POST, BIOS, boot loaders,
> ...).

Maybe your kernel can do that, because your operating system has pulled
into the kernel all sorts of machinery for managing services and the like
which really has nothing to do with the kernel's primary tasks of managing
memory, mediating access to devices, and scheduling the CPU(s).

Most kernels have no idea what runlevel the system is at, because the whole
concept of "runlevel" is one that belongs to a particular user-mode tool
used in some systems.  So they don't know when "runlevel 3" was entered;
only init knows that.

-- Jeff