Move kadmin and ktutil to bin from sbin?

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 29 00:18:29 EDT 2008

We have a request against the Debian package to move kadmin and ktutil to
/usr/bin from /usr/sbin on the grounds that both programs are usable by
people who are not administrators of the local machine. [1]  The FHS
definition of the difference between bin and sbin is about whether the
program is only usable by local system administrators, not a more general
administrator (such as a Kerberos administrator).  Also, even apart from
that, many sites have policies that allow normal users to use kadmin
and/or ktutil for (e.g.) sub-principals associated with their accounts.

I'd prefer to match what you do here rather than having Debian put these
binaries someplace different.  What would you think about moving both
kadmin and ktutil to $(CLIENT_BINDIR) and their man pages similarly to
section 1 and $(CLIENT_MANDIR)?  I can create the patch for 1.7 if this
seems reasonable.