Why parsing and unparing done in kinit?

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Fri Sep 21 10:56:06 EDT 2007

On Sep 21, 2007, at 10:40, nukala krishna wrote:
>         I have a question. i.e. Why parsing and unparsing is done
> in kinit.c before submitting the principal to
> krb5_get_init_creds_password () method ? Why don't it is passed
> directly?

We need a data structure for krb5_get_init_creds_* and a string for
any error messages we might want to display.  We can get a principal
as a string from the command line, or construct the data structure
directly from some other library routines (examining the credentials
cache, for example).  The unparsing after possibly parsing ensures
that we've got both forms ready before we go forward.

It could be done otherwise to avoid unnecessary calls, of course, but
saving a few bytes and milliseconds in kinit doesn't seem terribly
worthwhile...

Ken