Unicode and APIs

Jeffrey Altman jaltman at secure-endpoints.com
Wed Sep 19 17:41:59 EDT 2007

Sam Hartman wrote:

> Ken mentioned in another post that he suspected that adding
> internationalization support would require significant API work.
>
> I'd like to challenge that assumption.
>
> How badly will things break if we add a context flag that says
> "everything is UTF8" and minimize other API changes?
>
> --Sam

That would certainly work for the interface between the MIT library
and the calling application.

I think the challenge will be credential caches,
keytabs, replay caches, etc.  Those are resources which are shared with
other Kerberos implementations that will not necessarily be happy if the
character sets changes.

I can see the possibility of issues where tickets for the same service
get stored under two different names, or keytab entries that cannot be
found, or replays that are permitted between applications which use
different character sets.

Jeffrey Altman