Kerberos for Palm V5

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Tue Oct 23 16:45:40 EDT 2007

On Oct 23, 2007, at 16:10, Sam Hartman wrote:

>     Jackson,> I'm looking for Kerberos support on Palm operating
>     Jackson,> system.  _______________________________________________
>

> Ken Raeburn has done some initial investigation of what it would take
> to do this.  However we never produced a release.

Not even close....

 From the point of view of someone porting UNIX code, I found the
build environments for Palm (specifically, for 68k, theoretically to
run on my old Handspring, so no ARM support; and this was several
years ago) awkward to deal with, with different issues depending on
which tools you want to use.  (I mostly worked with the GNU tools I
found, because I'm familiar with them, though I experimented with
CodeWarrior a little.)  Gratuitous header file and API differences
from UNIX/POSIX, conflicting declarations in headers, stuff like
that.  Okay, to be fair, it *isn't* UNIX by any stretch of the
imagination.  And for someone writing new Palm code from scratch
instead of porting UNIX code, it would probably be okay.

The limitations on individual code segment sizes was pretty
frustrating, perhaps the most annoying part.  For an environment like
that, I can appreciate wanting to be able to exercise fine control
over allocations of code to segments.  *Having* to exercise such
control, on the other hand, seems like a waste of my time.  And
worse, it appeared (at least with GCC) that I had to update all the
krb5 header files as well to indicate what functions would go in what
segments; I don't see any way all of that could get back into our
main sources cleanly.  I don't recall if there were restrictions on
library data size as well.  I think I got as far as compiling some
bits of library code; never got anything actually loaded onto a real
device.

I hope things have improved in the development environments since
then.  Perhaps the CW environment is better than the GNU one, and I
just didn't spend enough time with it.

Now, that all said, I did find a few places I could tweak our code to
bring the code size down, and some of those changes did get checked
in.  The basic krb5 package is still pretty large for a Palm device,
but I'm sure more work could be done.  And if you just want to build
a single Kerberos app instead of a generic Kerberos library
installation that can support every possible krb5 app, you may be
able to let the linker eliminate the library functions your app
doesn't use.

If you're a Palm developer and willing to tackle some of these
things, I'd be happy to try to help you get something working.

Ken