Use --deps option to krb5-config

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Sun May 13 19:24:29 EDT 2007

On May 13, 2007, at 16:45, Sam Hartman wrote:
> There's a --deps switch in krb5-config that does nothing today.  I
> propose to make it handle this situation and only include dependent
> libraries if this switch is used.
>
> I propose the following patch.  If people do not object, I will
> commit.

I think it's a good idea.  Some observations:

- Since we're not building static libraries at the moment, when do we
want dependencies to be included?  If we do get static library
support restored someday, a static-only build will need to explicitly
list the system libraries we directly depend on.  That would be an
attribute of the installed Kerberos package, not the application
linking against it.  If we build both static and shared libraries,
then an application to be linked statically against our libraries
will need those dependencies.

- Your patch could go further.  A caller asking for the gssapi
library will still be told to directly link against the krb5,
k5crypto, and com_err libraries.  But since we're shipping that whole
package, and are committed to the ABI, reducing those dependencies is
less of an issue than separate OS libraries we build against.

Ken