Vista / UAC

Tim Alsop Tim.Alsop at CyberSafe.Com
Mon Mar 5 05:13:55 EST 2007

Jeffrey,

I wanted to update you on this, since you have been so helpful when we
exchanged emails last week.

We found that we were in fact using user accounts which were members of
local administrator group when testing due to the fact that in Vista
this can be configured in local user account configuration. We were
removing Domain Admin group membership from the user in AD and thought
this was enough, but it wasn't, so our tests were invalid. Somebody had
added a configuration on our test machinse which made the test user a
member of local administrator group regardless of their domain group
membership :-).

Now we have configured the permissions properly, when a user is not a
member of local administrators group they can use our product which gets
the session key from a service ticket.

I think you agree that the way this works is wrong, since a user who
gets admin rights should get rights which are a superset of a standard
user rights, but it seems that when somebody is given admininstrator
group membership they gain access to admin functionality, but also loose
the ability to access session keys in service tickets :-( This does not
make sense to me. I don't know any administrator security model that
works like this - normally making somebody an administrator does not
remove any functionality that is given to a non-administrator.

Thanks again,
Tim