still have password authentication with ssh

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Thu Jul 5 15:31:55 EDT 2007

The more interesting log would have been from sshd.

Doc_symbiosis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm just testing Kerberos and wonder, why ssh still wants a password. On
> both PCs ( server with Ubuntu feisty client with Ubuntu Dapper ), the user
> has the krbTGT and after running the ssh-command on the client, I also have
> a host ticket of the server on it.

Do the user names and the principal name in the ticket match?
It could be you need to have a ~/.k5login file in the home directory
of the user on the server side.

It could also be the service principal name used by the server does
not agree with what sshd thinks it should be, and so sshd can not
find the service principal in the kerberos keytab file on the server.

The syslog and/or the debug output of the sshd should show the above.

> Here's the output of ssh -v user at server
> <code>
> OpenSSH_3.8.1p1  Debian-krb5 3.8.1p1-10, OpenSSL 0.9.7g 11 Apr 2005
> debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
> debug1: Connecting to nils.bfk.loc [192.168.1.210] port 22.
> debug1: Connection established.
> debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/identity type -1
> debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
> debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
> debug1: Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version OpenSSH_4.3p2
> Debian-8ubuntu1
> debug1: match: OpenSSH_4.3p2 Debian-8ubuntu1 pat OpenSSH*
> debug1: Enabling compatibility mode for protocol 2.0
> debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.8.1p1  Debian-krb5 3.8.1p1-10
> debug1: Mechanism encoded as toWM5Slw5Ew8Mqkay+al2g==
> debug1: Mechanism encoded as A/vxljAEU54gt9a48EiANQ==
> debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
> debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
> debug1: kex: server->client aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none
> debug1: kex: client->server aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none
> debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REQUEST(1024<1024<8192) sent
> debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP
> debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_INIT sent
> debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REPLY
> debug1: Host 'nils.bfk.loc' is known and matches the RSA host key.
> debug1: Found key in /root/.ssh/known_hosts:2
> debug1: ssh_rsa_verify: signature correct
> debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
> debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
> debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
> debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST sent
> debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT received
> debug1: Authentications that can continue:
> publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,password
> debug1: Next authentication method: gssapi-with-mic
> debug1: Authentications that can continue:
> publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,password
> debug1: Authentications that can continue:
> publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,password
> debug1: Next authentication method: publickey
> debug1: Trying private key: /root/.ssh/identity
> debug1: Trying private key: /root/.ssh/id_rsa
> debug1: Trying private key: /root/.ssh/id_dsa
> debug1: Next authentication method: password
> </code>
>
> I have installed ssh-krb5 on both PCs and set
>     GSSAPIAuthentication yes
>     GSSAPIDelegateCredentials yes
> in the ssh_config and in sshd_config I have set
>      GSSAPIAuthentication yes
>      GSSAPICleanupCredentials yes
>
> Anyone got an idea, what's wrong?
> I followed two instructions command by command, but both end in the same
> result.
> Thanks in advance

  Argonne National Laboratory
  9700 South Cass Avenue