MEMORY keytabs - how should they be destroyed?

Jeffrey Altman jaltman at secure-endpoints.com
Thu Jan 25 19:51:51 EST 2007

Nicolas Williams wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 08:48:42AM +0100, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>> I wonder if it should take a flag indicating whether the keytab should
>> have the automatic destroy when refcount hits zero behavior.
>
> That implies a function to take references.
In the current Heimdal implementation the krb5_kt_resolve function
obtains a reference and the reference is removed when the krb5_kt_close
function is called.

At this point we have agreed that keytabs should work like ccaches.
Therefore, we will add destroy and gen_new functions.
Heimdal will change its implementation to match the agreed upon
behavior.  Applications that rely on the existing Heimdal behavior will
have to be updated.

Jeffrey Altman