RPC feature in MIT kerberos

Vipin Rathor v.rathor at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 03:43:29 EST 2007

Hi list,

I wanted to know the real benefit/motive of MIT Kerberos for implementing
the "RPCSEC_GSS authentication flavor to the RPC" feature in the MIT
krb5-1.4 release.

1. To what I understand is that MIT kadmin interface was not compatible with
SUN Solaris 10 KDC/kadmind. So having this feature one can use MIT kadmin to
create principals/policy against MIT Solaris 10 KDC/kadmind. Is my
understanding correct ?

2. Was this the sole purpose of implementing the "RPCSEC_GSS authentication
flavor to the RPC" feature ?

3. Guess it might be something to do with open NFS V4, Is it ? I am no NFS
V4 geek, so can anyone update me on this.
 As an MIT Kerberos user I'll always want to know the real motive behind
this feature.

Thanks in advance !

Regards,
Vipin